Can I Get the Abortion Pill by Mail?
If you’ve recently discovered you’re pregnant and are considering ordering the abortion pill by mail, you may be feeling a bit overwhelmed. When it comes to abortion, there’s a lot of confusing information online and it can be hard to find clear answers to your questions regarding the procedure.
Schedule a free appointment with us for a free ultrasound, and read this article to feel more secure about your decisions.
First Coast Women’s Services is here to help answer your questions and guide you through your unexpected pregnancy. Can I get the abortion pill by mail? In this day and age, you can order just about anything straight to your doorstep. However, it doesn’t always mean it’s the best idea.
While it may be possible to access the abortion pill by mail, we don’t recommend it. Not only are some online abortion pill providers not approved by the FDA, but the abortion pill, even taken under medical supervision, is a serious and potentially dangerous procedure.
Prior to taking the abortion pill, it’s recommended that patients gain an awareness of the possible risks and side effects and take a deeper look at their unique medical conditions through pre-abortion screenings.
Keep reading for more evidence-based education on the possible side effects and risks and how to make an informed choice for your pregnancy!
What are the risks and side effects of the abortion pill?
The abortion pill has been associated with the following common side effects:
- Abdominal pain
Women have also experienced severe health complications related to the abortion pill, including infection, sepsis, septic shock, excessive bleeding, hemorrhaging, and mental health issues.1
The abortion pill and other health conditions
Women with the following conditions should avoid the abortion pill altogether, as they could result in increased health risks:
- Confirmed/suspected ectopic pregnancy or undiagnosed adnexal mass
- Chronic adrenal failure
- Concurrent long-term corticosteroid therapy
- History of allergy to mifepristone, misoprostol, or other prostaglandins
- Hemorrhagic disorders or concurrent anticoagulant therapy
- Inherited porphyria
- Intrauterine device (IUD) in place
- Pregnancies past 70 days gestation
What do I need to do before receiving the abortion pill by mail?
Whether you’re considering ordering the abortion pill online or accessing it through an abortion clinic, it’s recommended that you first undergo the following screenings.
Ensure you are eligible for the abortion pill:
- Lab-quality pregnancy testing
- Even if you have already taken an at-home pregnancy test, we recommend receiving lab-quality pregnancy testing for the most up-to-date and accurate result.
- A limited ultrasound scan
- Your ultrasound will identify the gestational age, location, and viability of your pregnancy, including whether or not you are pregnant with an ectopic pregnancy. The results of the scan will determine your eligibility for the abortion pill.
- STD/STI testing
- Testing for sexually transmitted diseases/infections is recommended for all sexually active individuals; however, due to an increased risk of spreading the infection, it’s especially important to rule out the possibility of disease prior to an abortion procedure.
- Options counseling
- Unexpected pregnancies can bring about a lot of feelings of stress and anxiety, which is why it’s recommended that women first chat with a qualified professional about their various pregnancy options before undergoing an abortion.
Schedule a Free Appointment
Contact us today to discuss your free appointment.